6:30pm: Welcome and Introductions in the Auditorium
(This rarely takes the entire 20 minutes.)
6:50pm: Building Rotations (each 15 minutes in duration):
8:05pm: Announcement to end the evening.
Parents experience four rotations; they are:
- A student and parent panel in the auditorium.
- Time with PE, Reading, GEMS, and SSD teachers and the Nurse, SRO, and Summer School Leader in the gym
- A teacher panel (in rooms 208 and 214, depending on attendance)
- An elective teacher presentation in room 126.
Parents appreciate introductions and a little information about each person. Although this might be challenging to do in the gym, I would like those in the gym to do their best to share who they are and their role in the building before students browse the tables.
Parents also value knowing why you've chosen your subject, your role, and middle school. Your enthusiasm and energy are important to comforting parents and helping them feel connected to Hixson.
In addition, team teachers should be prepared to share the following (and, really, any teacher might receive questions about these things):
- A 7th grader's typical day, including arrival, dismissal, and after-school activities.
- An overview of class content.
- An explanation of Discovery, it's purpose and implementation.
- Drop off/pick up locations, times, and procedures.
- Offer time for questions and answers.
If, for some reason, the impending winter storm delays this event, we will re-scheduled for 2/11.